Our vision for Firecat Studio is to take full advantage of the new collaborative trends in business, the Wisdom of Crowds, Wikinomics, and letting smart, creative people do what they're best at. I've built two similar businesses before; never with this level of knowledge and intent, but it worked out well with Susan Price & Associates and MediaRich.
We've made great strides working as a remote team, but I have missed the face-to-face communication. That's about to change.
Firecat First Fridays Coworking sessions begin February 1
Speaking as an independently mobile knowledge worker, I enjoy the freedom of working from anywhere I choose, but I miss face time with other creative professionals.
If you're interested in Coworking and live in or near San Antonio, Texas, I'm hosting a once a month coworking session in our commercial space. There's an existing First Fridays recurring art event in San Antonio, pretty well attended in our creative community, so it made perfect sense to align this event with that one, and dedicate one day a month to restocking our creative ponds (apologies to Julia Cameron and her Artist's Way series).
My good friend McD said, "I love the idea of capping the week with something fun and creative." I couldn't agree more.
- Start at 9 am or whenever you want to get there. Bring your laptop, cell phone, or pad and paper. We'll put the coffee on.
- At 11 or so, we'll figure out some type of shared lunch, pitch in to cover the cost, and send somebody for it or have it brought in.
- At 11:30, we start a brown-bag session, with a topic agreed on and published in advance. This is a loose, show-and-tell type deal, bring something you want to share or just come to watch and listen to someone who's passionate and knowledgable - or just opinionated - about the topic.
- At 4 pm or so, some type of happy hourish thing could happen. If we want.
- At 6 pm, we're kicking everyone out and locking the door. Those who want to go on to more Happy hours or First Friday, go right on ahead.
Our FIRST Firecat First Friday (sorry, carried away with the whole alliteration thing) is happening this coming Friday, February 1, 2008 at Firecat Studio. Topic: Social Networking Tools for Business, part one. Web 2.0 for companies, as it relates to marketing, networking and PR.
I'm setting up a notification list, so drop us a line to opt yourself in to the Firecat First Fridays email list.
If you can't make the first session, send me ideas for future sessions.